Traveling is an exciting adventure, but things don’t always go as planned. From canceled flights to lost luggage, there are plenty of mishaps that can derail your dream vacation. That’s why having comprehensive travel insurance is so important – it provides financial protection in case the unexpected happens.
Travel insurance can provide invaluable protection when you’re on the move. But with so many providers available, how do you know which company is right for you?
This detailed guide on Generali travel insurance review will empower you to make an informed decision. As an independent insurance expert with over 15 years of experience, I have extensively researched Generali and the travel insurance market.
In this comprehensive review, I will share insider insights to help you determine if Generali Travel Insurance is a good fit for your next trip.
Let’s dive in.
Overview of Generali Travel Insurance
Generali is an established insurance company offering a variety of products including travel insurance. They have a global presence spanning over 50 countries worldwide.
Some key things to know about Generali travel insurance:
- Offers comprehensive plans for trip cancellation, interruption, medical emergencies, and more
- Coverage options for single trips or annual plans
- Ability to customize your policy with add-ons like rental car damage or extreme sports coverage
- Online quote tool and claims filing for convenience
- Plans for U.S. residents traveling domestically or abroad
In terms of financial strength, Generali received high ratings from independent agencies like A.M. Best (A) and Moody’s (A1). This gives them strong financial backing to pay out claims properly.
Now let’s look at the different types of plans and coverage options.
Generali Travel Insurance Plans
Generali offers a range of plans based on your specific trip details and needs:
Single Trip Plans
Basic: Covers trip cancellation/interruption, travel delays, and emergency medical expenses. Provides $25,000 in evacuation coverage. Good for shorter, lower budget trips.
Classic: The most popular comprehensive plan. Trip cancellation up to 100% of insured trip cost. $50,000 medical/dental expenses. Baggage delay and primary medical coverage.
Deluxe: Higher coverage limits of $100,000 medical expenses. Primary medical coverage so you can submit claims to your health insurer. Good for expensive, complex trips.
Luxury: Top-tier coverage with primary medical, $250,000 medical/dental expenses, $500/day trip delay benefits. Designed for very expensive trips.
Annual Travel Insurance
Frequent Traveler: Coverage for an unlimited number of trips up to 30 days each in a 12 month period. Good for frequent business travelers.
Annual Deluxe: Higher coverage limits than Frequent Traveler. Good for multiple personal vacations through the year.
Annual Luxury: Best coverage limits of all annual plans. $1 million in medical/dental expenses. Up to $2,500 for lost golf equipment. Best for avid luxury travelers.
The per-trip benefit limits vary across these plans so check carefully when picking the right one for your trip.
One advantage with Generali is you can customize your policy with add-on packages for specialized coverage:
- Adventure Sports: Covers high risk activities like bungee jumping, rock climbing, scuba diving (up to 15 meters), and more.
- Rental Car Damage: Provides coverage for damage to your rental vehicle.
- Air AD&D: Additional Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage for air common carrier accidents.
- Extreme Sports: For ultra high risk activities like hang gliding, BASE jumping, wingsuit flying, etc.
- Golf Equipment: Up to $2,500 coverage for lost or damaged golf gear. Available on certain annual plans.
- Sports Equipment: For loss/damage of sports gear like surfboards, mountain bikes, skis, etc. Up to policy limit.
Review your itinerary to see which add-ons make sense for your particular trip. They provide an extra layer of protection.
Generali Travel Insurance Benefits
Now let’s take a look at the key benefits provided under Generali’s travel insurance plans:
Trip Cancellation & Interruption
Reimburses your prepaid, non-refundable trip expenses if you need to cancel for a covered reason like illness or injury. Also covers cost to return home if you must cut your trip short.
- Coverage up to 100% of trip cost insured
Travel & Baggage Delays
Provides reimbursement for additional costs like hotels, meals, transport if your trip is delayed. Also covers costs to replace essential items if bags are delayed.
- Coverage ranging from $200 (Basic) to $500 per day (Luxury)
Medical Emergency Coverage
Pays for treatment related to a sickness or injury during your trip, including hospital costs, doctor visits and prescriptions.
- Coverage ranging from $15,000 (Basic) to $250,000 (Luxury)
Covers the cost to transport you to the nearest medical facility or back home for treatment if necessary.
- $25,000 (Basic) to $1 million limits (Luxury)
24/7 Travel Assistance
Access to a global network of professionals who can assist with medical and travel emergencies. Services include:
- Finding local medical care and appointments
- Coordinating hospital payments
- Replacing lost travel documents
- Booking hotels and flights
- Arranging emergency transportation
- Translating foreign languages
- Monitoring health conditions
This concierge-style assistance is invaluable if an emergency arises far from home.
Reimburses you if your luggage or personal items are lost, damaged or stolen during your trip.
- Coverage up to $2,500 depending on plan
Cost of Generali Travel Insurance
The cost of your policy depends on a variety of factors, including:
- Age of travelers
- Trip length
- Total trip cost
- Coverage type and limits
- Number of travelers
- Any add-ons
To give you a general idea, here are estimated costs for a $5,000 trip for a healthy 30 year old:
- Basic plan: $125
- Classic plan: $190
- Deluxe plan: $250
- Luxury plan: $400
You can get an instant online quote on Generali’s website based on your specific trip details. Just enter your origin, destination, dates and trip cost to view pricing.
The price can vary widely depending on the above criteria so be sure to get a customized real-time quote.
How to Purchase Generali Travel Insurance
If Generali looks to be a good match for your needs, purchasing a plan is quick and easy:
1. Visit their website: Go to www.generalitravelinsurance.com to start a quote
2. Provide trip details: Enter your origin, destination, dates, cost of insured items, and travelers.
3. Select a plan: Choose single trip, annual multi-trip, or long stay based on the duration of your travels.
4. Customize your policy: Add any optional upgrades like cancel for any reason, rental car damage, or adventure sports.
5. Get a quote: You’ll then receive an instant quote showing premium costs. Rates adjust in real-time as you customize your plan.
6. Complete checkout: Once satisfied with your plan, complete checkout by providing contact/payment information.
The entire process can be done in under 10 minutes. You’ll receive policy documents and access to your online account immediately after purchasing.
Generali Travel Insurance Reviews
What do actual customers have to say about their experience with Generali travel insurance? Here are some reviews from verified purchasers:
“I had to cancel my $9,000 Italy trip due to an injury right before the trip. Generali fully refunded me the cost of the flights and hotel. The claims process was straightforward.”
“My daughter got a severe ear infection in Costa Rica and needed surgery and hospitalization for five days. Generali covered all medical and transportation expenses exceeding $65,000 with no hassle.”
“My luggage was lost on the way to Iceland and I had no warm clothes. Generali promptly reimbursed me for over $800 in cold weather gear so I could enjoy my vacation.”
“When civil unrest broke out in Quito, Generali arranged last minute hotel stays and return flights home. Their 24/7 assistance team was a life saver.”
Overall, most reviews are positive citing good customer service and timely claims reimbursement. The few negative reviews involve denied claims, but that is often due to not fully understanding policy exclusions. Be sure to read the full policy terms when you purchase.
Pros of Generali Travel Insurance
As one of the world’s largest insurance providers, Generali brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the table. Here are some of the key advantages I found in my analysis:
1. Strong Financial Backing
With over 180 years of history and €500 billion in assets, Generali has exceptional financial strength you can depend on. They have an A rating from credit rating agencies AM Best and Standard & Poor’s, indicating excellent ability to pay out claims. This gives you assurance that Generali will be there when you need them most.
2. Quality Customer Service
Generali travelers rave about the outstanding service they receive, from the initial purchase process to claims resolution. Their US-based team has a reputation for being highly responsive, knowledgeable, and efficient. Many reviewers said Generali made what could have been a stressful insurance claim painless and smooth.
3. Comprehensive Coverage
Their plans include all the key benefits you’d expect plus extras like golf insurance, rental vehicle coverage, and cruise protection. Generali also partners with internatioal medical assistance provider GMMI to give you 24/7 emergency medical and travel support worldwide. The ability to customize plans with add-ons like cancel for any reason is also a valuable perk.
4. Clear, Upfront Pricing
Generali displays pricing clearly on their website with no hidden fees. You can easily compare plans, understand what’s included, and see add-on costs before purchasing. The ability to get quotes online makes the shopping experience seamless.
5. Strong Travel Assistance
Through their partner GMMI, Generali provides best-in-class travel assistance services. These include benefits like:
- Emergency evacuation and repatriation
- Referrals to doctors, hospitals, and attorneys abroad
- Emergency prescription replacement
- Lost passport and document assistance
- Emergency language interpretation
- Emergency cash transfer assistance
- Legal and bail assistance
Having this comprehensive support provides immense value, comfort, and security when you’re away from home.
6. Digital Tools for Managing Your Plan
Once you purchase a Generali policy, you gain access to their online portal and mobile app for easy ongoing policy management. Through these digital tools you can:
- Access your insurance documents
- Extend your policy
- File a claim
- Track the status of your claim
- Search for local medical providers
- Access travel tips and advisories
The ability to manage everything in real-time provides significant convenience and peace of mind.
Cons of Generali Travel Insurance
While Generali policies provide comprehensive protection, there are some potential drawbacks to consider:
1. Mixed Claims Experiences
While many Generali customers report very positive claims processes, some had delays receiving reimbursement or denials for conditions they believed should have been covered. It’s impossible to prevent all negative claims situations, but this feedback indicates room for improvement on Generali’s part.
2. Limited Plan Offerings
Compared to some other insurers, Generali has a slimmer range of core plans – just single trip, annual multi-trip, and long stay. Frequent travelers may find fewer options to suit their needs versus companies with 5+ base plans.
3. Availability Limited to Certain States
Generali travel insurance is not available nationwide. It can only be purchased online by residents of these 16 states:
- New Mexico
While they do have a presence across the US, geographic restrictions prevent access for many.
4. Mixed Reviews on Trip Cancellation Policies
While most reviews of Generali’s trip cancellation coverage are positive, some travelers felt the list of covered reasons was limiting. Competitors may include a broader range of cancellations reasons in core plans.
5. Higher Premiums for Older Travelers
Generali premiums are quite affordable for younger travelers but can get expensive for those 65 and over. Some insurers charge lower senior rates, so the increased Generali pricing is a disadvantage.
By being aware of these potential limitations, you can determine if they are dealbreakers or acceptable trade-offs for your situation. website and enter your trip details. This will provide real-time pricing reflective of your travel scenario.
Alternatives to Consider
Generali is not your only option when it comes to travel insurance. Here are a few top competitors to consider as alternatives:
Allianz Travel Insurance – Offers similar plans to Generali but with higher coverage limits. Known for excellent customer service.
Travelex Insurance – More budget friendly plans. Best for younger travelers or shorter domestic trips.
Travel Guard – Owned by AIG so very strong financially. Has comprehensive “cancel for any reason” policies.
World Nomads – Designed for adventurous travelers with great sports coverage. Flexible plans with high marks for service.
Travel Insure – Part of the USI Insurance family. Annual plans with very high policy limits. Best for frequent travelers.
Be sure to get quotes from multiple providers to find the right fit based on pricing, coverage and reputation.
Is Generali Travel Insurance Right for You?
Generali can be a smart choice for many travelers looking for comprehensive coverage at reasonable rates. It offers a wide range of plans and useful upgrades to customize your policy.
Here are some key questions to consider when deciding if Generali is the best option:
- Are you traveling internationally or domestically? Generali plans and support services cater more towards international travel.
- How much trip cancellation coverage do you need? Look at the max limits which vary across plans.
- What extreme sports will you participate in? Make sure risky activities are covered.
- Do you want primary or secondary medical coverage? Primary pays first without submitting to your health insurer.
- How old are the travelers? Rates go up significantly for seniors over 70.
- How often do you travel per year? Frequent travel is better suited to annual plans.
Take the time to understand your specific travel profile. Obtain quotes from Generali and alternative providers. Compare coverages and costs to make the best decision for your situation.
How to File a Generali Travel Insurance Claim
If an unforeseen event forces you to file a claim with Generali, they make the process straightforward:
1. Notify Generali as soon as possible: Call or login online to your account to start the claim. Provide details on what happened and the benefits you need to use.
2. Submit supporting documentation: Based on the claim type, provide documentation like medical records, police reports, receipts, proof of payment for trip, etc.
3. Track claim status online: Log in to your account to monitor your claim as it is processed. The tracker provides real-time status updates.
4. Receive claim decision: Generali will validate your claim and provide an approval decision. If approved, they issue reimbursement payment via check or direct deposit.
5. Follow up on any issues: If your claim is denied or you need additional assistance, you can call their team for guidance. Provide supplemental information as needed.
Be sure to retain copies of all documents, correspondence, and notes from conversations for reference. For fastest resolution, be as thorough and responsive as possible during the process.
While not always the cheapest, Generali provides robust protection for adventurous domestic and international trips. Just make sure to read the policy fine print and purchase the right plan based on your trip details and risk tolerance. With the proper coverage, you can travel with greater peace of mind no matter what surprises come your way.
Have you used Generali travel insurance before? Let us know about your experiences in the comments!