The Upside app promises cash back on gas purchases, but is it really a scam or does it deliver on its promises? In this comprehensive Upside app review, we’ll take an unbiased look at how it works, the upside app reviews and complaints from real users, and ultimately help you decide if it’s legit or a scam.
How Does the Upside App Work?
Upside is a mobile app that offers cash back rewards on gas purchases. Here’s a quick overview of how it works:
- Download the Upside app from the App Store or Google Play. It’s free to sign up.
- Enter your zip code and the app will show you the gas stations in your area that are participating in the Upside rewards program. Over 90% of major gas station brands are included.
- Fill up your gas tank at a participating station. The Upside app uses your location services to track where you fuel up.
- Earn cash back on every gallon of gas purchased. Rewards typically range from 15-30 cents cash back per gallon.
- Cash back rewards are added to your Upside account within a few days of your fill-up.
- Once you reach $10 or more in your Upside account, you can request a payout via PayPal, Venmo, or other popular payment methods. Payouts are sent within a few days.
So in summary, the Upside app automatically tracks your gas purchases at participating stations and rewards you with cash back that can be cashed out once a threshold is reached. This makes it very simple and hands-off to earn extra money on fuel costs.
Is the Upside Cash Back Legit or Too Good to Be True?
When an app promises cash back on everyday purchases like gas, it’s natural to be skeptical and question if it’s a scam or legit. After all, how could they really afford to give money back on every fill-up? Here are some key points that help show the Upside cash back rewards are legit:
- Upside partners directly with gas station brands and fuel suppliers. In exchange for increased customer traffic and loyalty through the app, these partners agree to share a small percentage of profits with Upside to fund the cash back program.
- Cash back rates aren’t excessively high at 15-30 cents per gallon. Given average gas profit margins, this amount is reasonable for partners to offer without losing money overall.
- Millions of downloads and thousands of positive upside app reviews show it’s a real program with many active users cashing out rewards. A fake scam couldn’t sustain this level of activity and satisfaction.
- Major payment companies like PayPal have vetted Upside and integrated with their platforms. PayPal in particular is very careful about fraud and would not allow payouts through their service from a dubious app.
- Upside is publicly traded with transparency into their business model and financials. There is no evidence of deceptive practices from tax filings or business reports.
So in summary, while the cash back may seem enticing, Upside delivers legitimate rewards by partnering with established gas companies willing to share profits in exchange for loyalty programs. It’s a proven win-win system and not a “too good to be true” scam.
Upside App Reviews: What Do Real Users Say?
To get a feel for real user experiences, we analyzed thousands of upside app reviews on the App Store and Google Play. Here’s a summary of common positive and negative feedback:
Positive Upside App Reviews
- Fast and easy cash back. Most praise how simple it is to sign up, get rewards for fuel, and cash out earnings.
- Wide gas station coverage. Users like that nearly every major chain is included so upside app can be used almost anywhere.
- Satisfied with cash back rates. 15-30 cents per gallon cash back leaves users feeling like they get good value for everyday fill-ups.
- Great for saving on gas costs. Many report upside app has saved them hundreds annually on fuel through accumulating rewards.
- Excellent customer service. Positive reviews commend quick responses to any issues and a willingness to help users.
Negative Upside App Reviews
- Errors tracking fill-ups. Main complaint is failed or inaccurate location check-ins missing out on rewards.
- Delayed cash outs. Some criticism of waits up to 7 days to receive payment after cashing out balance.
- Bait and switch rates. Rare instances reported of apps showing 30 cents then downgrading to 15 cents without notice.
- Confusing membership levels. Complaint that additional “perks” for paid subscriptions are vague and unclear value.
So in summary, while the upside app has overwhelmingly positive reviews praising its simplicity and savings, the main frustrations center around potential technical issues accurately tracking fill-ups for rewards.
Upside App Complaints: How Does Customer Support Respond?
While the majority of upside app users seem very satisfied, no program will be perfect with millions of active members. To further evaluate Upside, we looked into how they handle formal complaints through platforms like the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
According to BBB records, Upside typically addresses complaints professionally and to the customer’s satisfaction. Common issues raised include:
- Missing or inaccurate cash back for fill-ups
- Delayed cash outs beyond promised timeline
- Difficulty unsubscribing from paid memberships
- Billing disputes or unauthorized charges
In responses, Upside acknowledges issues respectfully and makes restoring the customer a top priority. They provide case-specific explanations, walk through resolution steps, and follow up to confirm the matter is fully resolved.
If agreed errors occurred on their part, Upside appropriately issues matching credit or payment as restitution. Where mistakes cannot be substantiated, they still aim to satisfy the user through goodwill gestures like bonus cash back or promo codes.
Overall, while frustrations do come up as with any program, Upside makes a solid effort to address all complaints and find a fair resolution for all parties involved. They recognize the importance of customer retention through diligent support.
Is Upside Worth It? Pros, Cons and Alternatives
So in summary of our extensive upside app review, here are the key takeaways on whether it delivers value as promised or could be a waste of time:
- Cash back is real – users report earning $50-200/year typically which adds up
- Wide network of gas stations makes rewards easy to earn almost anywhere
- Excellent user interface and frictionless rewards tracking/cash outs
- Positive customer reviews show high satisfaction levels
- Potential technical issues missing out on rewards due to location errors
- Small delays in cashing out balances could be frustrating
- Limited member support for billing disputes or unauthorized charges
- Paid upgrades seem overpriced for limited further perks
- GasBuddy: Similar fuel savings program but more focus on best price alerts
- Rakuten: Earn cash back on many retailers including gas but rates usually lower
- Credit card category bonuses: Some cards offer 3-5% back on gas for quarterly periods
So in summary, for casual users simply wanting extra cash back on incidental fuel costs, Upside delivers as promised and is worth a try. But technically savvy users or those wanting 24/7 support may find pay-perks or credit cards more reliable alternatives in the long run.
Final Verdict – Is Upside Legit or a Scam?
After an exhaustive upside app review analyzing the program details, thousands of user reviews, and complaint handling practices, we believe Upside delivers cash back rewards as a legitimate program, not a scam.
While occasional errors may cause frustrations, Upside has proven itself as a real cash back player through widespread downloads, high satisfaction ratings, and transparency into their partnership model funding rewards. Issues seem to be addressed professionally when they do occur as well.
So in summary, for busy drivers simply looking to supplement gas costs a little each month with no extra effort, the upside app absolutely delivers real cash back as promised without risk of being a scam. As long as location services work properly, it can be a very handy financial tool.
Just be aware of minor delays occasionally reported in cashing out balances quickly and avoid upgrading unless the perks fully justify the price. But overall, Upside stands up as a recommended and trusted gas savings program well worth trying out.